The powder room is a great place to make an impact. It is usually the the smallest room in your home or apartment so that makes it cost effective to add the "WOW" factor without breaking the bank. Your guests will likely use this room at least once when entertaining so it's important to make them feel good and look good when they do. They only will spend a few minutes in this room so their first impression will be the one they leave with. Here are some ideas to add the glam to your powder room.
1) A beautiful mirror can add shape and style to any powder room. If you are still using the builders generic mirror recycle it and find one that excites you.
2) Lighting is extremely important! You want yourself and your guests to look and feel good so they continue to enjoy themselves. Flatter them with soft lighting. Sconces and chandeliers work well to add to the glamour. A dimmer switch is essential. Set the correct level before your guests arrive so when they flip on the switch the mood is achieved.
3) This is a great room to add visual interest to the walls with wall paper or a faux finish. Art should be well thought out and reflect the look you want to achieve. Upholstered panels are a great way to add more texture and dimension and add size to a beautiful picture without overwhelming the room.
4) If you still have the basic pedestal sink from the local big box store it's time to step it up. A vanity will not only add beauty and detail but it will fill out the room and add storage. Many vanities are now available with a marble or granite top and are sold at a great value.
5) Install a faucet with style and detail that reflects the room. Don't be too concerned about matching the finish to everything else in your home.
6) Flooring that is deeper in color will add more warmth. Stay away from stark white on the floor and walls. A small rug with pattern will add comfort and pattern to the floor.
7) Fresh flowers or a seasonal flowering plant will give life to the room.
8) A scented candle burning will add a pleasant fragrance and make your guests more comfortable.
9) Make sure you have a clean hand towel for your guests as well as decorative paper towels. This gives your guests the option and helps to prevent the spread of germs.
10) Have the amenities of a country club readily available for your guests. Mouthwash, paper cups, scented hand soap, hand lotion and other personal needs will put your powder room over the top and make every guest feel special.
"Whatever you do be sure that it is a reflection of what you love." Celeste Jackson
"Without emotion, there is no beauty." Diana Vreeland Editor of Harper's Bazaar 1938-1962 Editor of Vogue 1962-1971